Sunday, October 11, 2009

Nowhere to go but down. - Chris cross

Pretty pumped to race this weekend. A bit cold but was manageable. In retrospect I wish I wouldn't have worn my leg warmers during the race. Probably could have been warm enough without them and they felt a bit distracting later in the race.
Took off nice at the start and settled in about 3rd position of about 30 racers. Was a bit surprised to find myself on the front like that. Just thought I'd try and stick with that group - see what happened. The new tires were pretty awesome. The course was great and perfect for flying through all the corners with no brakes. Just not sure if my fitness deserved them. On the 2nd lap I was sitting in 5th place with Dan O. in front of me. We were all together with the leaders. Came around the first corner and my front slid out. Not sure if I hit one of those large nuts in the grass but it was nuts nonetheless. Hoped back up and lost a few spots. It was there where I began to fade. I was just blowin' up. Over the next 2 laps I was fading back. On the last lap I slid out again in the exact same spot. This time it was a bit less graceful. Dropped my chain there and lost a bit more. Finished 16 out of 32. Damn shame. Was a great course - wish I could race it again. I think there is 1 more race at that venue but not sure of the course layout.
Dan O. killed this weekend again. Took 3rd place. Solid. David was somewhere behind me. Not sure where the other guys who raced ended up. Just wait till results are posted. Lots of support today. Thanks to everyone.
And in her 3rd cross race Jane took 4th place. She said she had 3rd but a couple crashes allowed someone to pass.
Next weekend is 2 more races. Because I'm not a cat 3 I'll be racing the 4's only - there is no 3/4 race for series 60 cx. Need to get some confidence and try to take it to some people.


Finally got a picture of the race rig. Thanks to Britton at Volker for putting it together. Weighs in at just over 18 lbs. Jamis Supernova, ultregra rear shifter, single chainring, white industries hubs, kinlin rims, challenge grifo tubs, trp brakes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Eric, just an FYI on bike photo taking etiquette. Take the photo of the drive side of the bike. I know, I'm an A-hole. ;)

    ReplyDelete