Sunday, October 18, 2009

Capital Cup and Boulevard Cup


Big cross weekend. 2 races both in the series 60. Saturday's race was in Topeka. Good course, pretty much flat, not too technical but 1 good climb and 2 tough run ups on the "mound of mercy." Didn't quite have the numbers racing that day. The drive and the fact that there was a Sunday race probably deterred a few. Lined up in the 4's for my final weekend of 4 racing. I've done two 4 races previously - with one good result and one not so good. - So I was curious to see how things would go after I've gotten some experience racing cross. Lined up 2nd row and after the long pavement straightaway was in 3rd place when we got on course. Pretty much sat in for the opening 1/2 lap, then someone ran into my rear wheel and went down behind me. I think that caused a bit of a slow down and the 3 of us were away. Eventually moved into 2nd position. A few people would bridge up and a few fell off. Halfway through it was myself and new Colavita racer and teammate Andy Wiens. He's a strong racer and kept the pace up and I was content to let him do the pacemaking. I felt I could have gone around him to attack but didn't want myself to blow up. The steep run ups were the hardest part of the course. They really drained your energy - but there were enough places to recover elsewhere on course.

I dropped my chain middle of the race when I was in the lead. Had to stop to get it back on and Wiens passed me and I chassed back for 1/3 of a lap. Came down to last lap and there were 3 of us together. Towards the later part of the course Andy went wide on a turn and I figured that was a good time to take over with climb just ahead. Previously the plan was to attack on the climb and get to the run up first. Whoever gets to the runup first pretty much wins it with the finish not too far later. On the second run up I had a bit of a gap and that was all she wrote...came across 1st by about 5 seconds.
Jane finished 4th again in her cat 4 race. Good job to her. She'll podium yet this season. She just needs to get consistent with her training.


Boulevard Cup was Sunday. What a great event. So many racers, so much food, and of course Boulevard beer on tap. Probably won't see a better set up than the Boulevard people put on today. Absolutely great - thanks to all the people who put that on. They also waited to to do awards until all races were over so the crowds stayed big until the end.

Lots of 4's lining up for this one. Definitely a faster crowd today than yesterday. I was curious to see how things would sort out for this one. Course was pretty good. A few technical sections, but nothing too bad. They made the most of what they had available.
They enforced call ups and I was at the rear. They actually didn't even call me up. I did however line up on the outside so I could pass the first two rows in the grass and get on pavement near the front. Had a good start and killed it in the grass for about 20 feet until I was clear and settled in 3rd wheel. Hit the grass and came upon an ethos racer, travis. He was killing it and the pace was pretty quick. Doing fine sitting 2nd wheel again, travis wiped out and I was in front. Had another come around me a bit later and let him do the pacemaking. I was suffering and just needed a target to keep my pace up. I find that when I'm by myself I always slow down and think I'm working my hardest. But if I have a wheel to focus on I always work harder and somehow mangage to survive.
anyway, Travis eventually caught back up and I got on his wheel. He was pretty much riding me into the ground. The guy is just plain fast. Maybe if I hadn't raced the day before it would have been different. Regardless he started riding away. Right after that I somehow dropped my chain. Got off to fix it and got passed by 2 racers. Got going quick again and was sitting 4th place with 1 to go. I felt that I could pass this guy but just wanted to save it to the end. Well, he crashed with a 1/3 to go and I just rode away. 2nd place finished in sight but I felt that hadn't my chain fallen off I maybe could have finished 2nd. Tough to say. Good schwag payout for 3rd and I'm not complaining.
Jane took 4th again. Her trademark position.

I'm officially putting in my request this week to move up. Even though I race a more consistent race in the 4's and I feel more in control, not riding out of my ability etc, I don't want to be a sandbagger. To the 3's I go. Hopefully the likes of Travis Donn, Tom Bondurant, and other top finishers in the 4's will join me. It will make the 3's more fun to not get blown out of water too bad.

1 comment: