Sunday, October 4, 2009

Boss Cross 1 & 2

Had the first 2 races of the boss cross series this weekend. Race was in parkville, mo - great town and pretty nice course. Course was mostly flat and not too technical which made it very fast. Course included 2 sand pits, one of which could be ridden.
First race went off without too much problem. Only had about 17 line up - fairly small field. Settled in about mid pack and didn't do too much from there. I felt like I rode a fairly consistent race - although I could have maybe pushed myself a bit faster. The leaders of the race were out of sight and it's hard to gauge your pace when your riding by yourself or with only 2 or 3 guys. Finished 8th.

Lined up again sunday in race 2. Course was mostly the same except backwards. A slightly larger field - teammate Dan O. lined it up also. Don't quite feel comfortable pushing the pace at the front of the group with riders who are for the most part faster than me. Settled in about mid pack again - was sitting around 7th place. On the 2nd lap I went down in the sand pit and smashed the inside of my knee on the bike. For those of you who have had this experience you know you can't put any pressure on the pedals for a bit. Got back on bike and soft pedaled for maybe a minute trying to see if I would go on or pull out. Finally the pain let up and I was off again - but I had about 6 people pass me. Spent the remaining 4 laps chasing but never caught anyone. Ended up 14th out of 17 finishers (2 DNF's).

Teammate Dan O. killed in the the 3/4 race and took 2nd place. That guy is fast on a cross bike.
Although not nearly as fast as some of the open riders - specifically Joseph Schmalz - that kid is fast and smooth.

Hopefully Challenge Grifos beginning next race - Courtesy of Britton at Volker Bikes.

Pictures of Britton from the weekend (the only race I could take photos for was men's open)

No comments:

Post a Comment