Saturday, June 27, 2009

Tour of KC - Longview Criterium

This race was hot. Disgusting hot. Started at the back of the group thinking I'd be able to work my way up with no problem. This was a huge mistake. There were too many riders who couldn't take corners with speed and brake checked every turn causing huge slow downs and resulted in the whole field being stretched out. The people who could ride and were near the front had an open line through the corners and began to open up a gap.
I started picking my way through the field, passing riders who were blowing up 2-3 laps into the race (why do you show up to the race if you have zero fitness?) Started getting frustrated and began to fly through the corners, cutting in on people, squeezing inside, taking flyers on the outside - probably pissed some people off and made it a bit dangerous but I didn't want to chase the whole race either. Finally got connected with the front group of about 15. I was suffering - had to bridge a decent gap near the end of my chase and I was cooked right there. Way too hot outside to be putting in tough efforts. As soon as I was connected with the group they called a prime lap. This is where a few bike shack racers took a small gap. The people I was with didn't feel the urgency to close this small gap after the prime and I didn't have the lungs or legs at that moment. this stayed as a 10 sec gap for about 2 laps, eventually they just slowly pulled away. Should have never happened - of course this will be the last time I ever line up near the back if I can help it.
So 3 Bike Shack off the front, I was riding with a group of maybe 8 riders chasing. David N. was with me after bridging up and Dan O. caught on too. Dan took off on a prime, stayed away and won the prime - although subsequently fell off after that, but who wouldn't in that weather. I was just trying to stay upright and not die in our group. Was considering pulling out until we rolled through and they announced 6 laps to go. Figured I could hang on.
Came in on the last lap nearly dead but put in a sprint that landed me in 6th place overall....and killed me. I needed to cool down fast, I was disoriented, dizzy, got to my car after riding the wrong way on the course for a brief moment, grabbed some water and stumbled to some shade under a tree. Took me nearly 25 minutes to feeling normal again.
Saturday's race is at 7:30, the sun will be lower, hopefully gone, and temps cooler. But I will not put myself through that again. Luckily sunday is only calling for a high in the mid 80's.

The summer heat is what I hate most about Missouri. If the summer's were cooler I would consider staying in this state after I graduate, but this shit is rediculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment