Friday, August 7, 2009

Appendix

Put in some good workouts the past week in prep for Tour of KC. Was planning on riding Wednesday night hill ride but mid-day wednesday had a bit of upset stomach feeling - combined with other malaise symptoms I opted out of the ride. I didn't think too much of it - I often have a sensitive GI system and just considered this something I may have ate or gas pain...something like that. Went to bed with a bit of discomfort and awoke at about 1 am with increased pain. Being in dental school I've got a decent medical background and noted some tenderness in my lower right abdomen. This discomfort and tenderness continued throughout the night - couldn't fall back asleep until 6 am. The majority of symptoms I was experiencing was classic appendicitis - I just didn't want to believe it. Woke up at about 7 am, tenderness still existed but much of the discomfort had gone. I made the decision not to go to school and see what develops. Well in the next 20 minutes the discomfort returned on an increased level - as well as more pain in the lower right. Made the decision to get to the ER. At that moment had a 90% belief I would be getting surgery that day. There were a few other differential diagnosis, but I was hoping it was just appendicitis - more definitive treatment and it's done.

Long story short they did an abdominal CT, noted a "stone/fecalith/crap" blocking the entrance to my appendix and subsequent inflammation. Went under at 2pm. Spent the night at KU Med, home today at about noon. Pretty sore, obviously not racing tour of kc which I registered for wednesday afternoon- $60 out the window with no chance of refund. Doctors suggestion is no serious workout for 4 weeks. I'll probably be back on the bike in a week soft pedaling and see where I go with that. But this might mark the end of my road season - I don't want to waste money on Gateway Cup in a month and get my ass kicked if I don't retain some good fitness and can't go 100%.

Atleast there is still cross. As we speak Britton at Volker Bicycles is working like a mad man crafting another cyclocross creation. Should be good.

Got a nice vacation planned though - leaving next weekend to see family in Wisconsin for a couple days and then Jane and I are heading up to Door County, Wisconsin to camp for a week. We're bringing the bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment