Saturday, May 2, 2009

Down Time

As I write this, my team is on a group ride...and I'm sitting on the couch drinking coffee in my robe. Velotek GP took it out of me. Sunday eve and monday I was just drained. Looking back, I probably didn't do enough to refuel after the road race on Sunday. I still ate about 3 times that afternoon/eve but it wasn't soon enough or frequent enough. Monday it was pretty rainy and I threw my bike on the trainer to do a bit of a recovery spin. After about 30 minutes I bonked. Literally. My glycogen stores must still have been super low. This is actually the first time I can say I bonked on "the bonk memoirs" and it happened on a trainer - nice.
Tuesday I talked myself into the practice crit. I could definetly feel the effects from the past weekend. I just didn't have energy that I'm used to. So what better time than to attack off the front - launched huge and got a big gap. It only lasted 1 lap though and I struggled to stay on the back of the pack afterwards. I actually thought about sitting out a lap because it took a lot out of me. Spent the remaining time sitting in and setting up for the final. with about 1.5 laps to go some guy went off the front and tried to solo it for the win. No one else was really chasing (or looked like they were chasing) so I lead a train to his wheel and caught him 100m before the line. Sat there and waited for someone to make a move, and Marcus blew by me on the left, another rider on my right. I jumped and came across in third. Marcus S. took the win.
As we drove home I was just feeling mentally and physically empty. As I have finals next week an no races for 2 weeks I decided in the car that I'm going to take it easy for a bit. Get some down time before my summer starts and the real training begins.

Right after finals I will be traveling to Wisconsin to visit some relatives for the week. I was actually born and raised Milwaukee, so most of my family still lives there. I'll be in Trempealeau, WI which is located on the Mississippi River. Apparently the roads around there have been labeled as the best place for road biking in the upper midwest. Super hilly, scenic, good pavement, and almost zero traffic. I'd say it's comparable to Hermann, MO or St. Genevive, MO. I'll get there just in time for the annual "hip breaker tour." 42 miles with apparently a bastard of a climb - I'll be representing in the Team Colavita/Parisi Coffe in full kit. The rest of the week will give great opportunities to get in great miles. The area sports 382 miles of interconnecting routes with an average of 3 cars per hour! the website needs an update but check it out clicky clicky

1 comment:

  1. Cool, you're taking your bike...that should be some pretty rides...enjoy! hey, check out the Trempealeau Hotel...it's still there!

    ReplyDelete