Monday, June 11, 2012

Levis Trow Endurance Race.

Saturday was the second stop on the WEMS (Wisconsin Endurance Mountain Bike Series) at my somewhat local Levis Mound.  This was my third time racing here so I knew what to expect - although the course does change up every time.
After a good weekend of racing 1 week prior, I was confident that I could place well, possibly win depending on who shows up.  Weather was hot, hovering around 90 with a big south wind.  Legs didn't feel too good warming up.  Were sluggish and didn't have too much top end.  These races are pretty technical and really don't have any open sections so its more of a tempo race.  25 miles total, 2 laps of the 12.5 course.
Le Mans start - first time I have been forced to run on my leg - surprisingly felt great.  Got to my bike and was off chasing 2 guys up a bit.  Got up to 2nd place before the singletrack.  Settled in and caught my breath, but was anxious to go.  After a mile it opened up for 50 meters and I took over.  Back into the woods we went.  I upped the pace a bit and put in a few small digs and got a gap that kept growing.  I stayed on the gas for the whole first lap.  Struggled a bit in a few sections but was doing ok.  Wiped out at mile 7 in a loose and sandy corner.  I could see that I had a chaser that was about 30 seconds back and regained composure and kept it quick for the remaining of the lap.  didn't really see anyone after that.  Came through the start/finish 2:30 up on my follower.  Grabbed another bottle and chugged half of a Coke.  Was riding really fast for the first couple miles of lap 2.  Passing a lot of the 50 and 100 milers, but never had any pressure from anyone behind.  Once I started hitting the climbs and technical stuff I just put it into cruise control.  Was taking in as much water as I could - tough to do in 100% singletrack.  Made me wish I would have worn my camel back.  Came though the finish 4 minutes slower than my first lap.  2nd place had actually closed the gap and was only a minute behind me.  If he had put pressure on I had some power in the tank go grow the gap - or at least thats how I felt.

Wish I had my suspension set up softer.  I was a bumpy race and I could have used the comfort - I think I def would have been faster on the 2nd lap if I wasn't getting so beat up.

Next week is WORS #4 at camrock.

No comments:

Post a Comment