Sunday, July 26, 2009

Queen City Crits and coming attractions

With a weekend of racing only 2.5 hours away and free place to stay at my sister's house, my teammate Matt P. and I rolled into Springfield, MO. With several other teammates racing KS grass track, we were the only Colavita/Parisi riders. The categories were split up into cat 4/5 and 3/4 so I had the opportunity to race 4x over the weekend.
Started with the 4/5 race saturday eve, felt like I had a great opportunity to win but it wasn't to be. Spent the majority of the race on or near the front. I was covering attacks left and right and bridging gaps which took it out of me. The race had no real flow to it and I couldn't get into any sort of groove. On top of that my legs were a bit groggy. I'm coming to find that I need to keep the efforts up the day before a race to keep my legs in check. - A rider went off the front solo and no one followed so he got away for good. I had a weak last lap and could only pull out a 5th place finish. $45 in the bank but I felt like crap and didn't pony up for the 3/4 race. Also I wanted to save it to redeem myself for Sunday's 4/5.

Matt did well in the 3/4 race. Broke away for one prime and sprinted for a second. That's 2 $50 dollar primes and an 11th place finish for $35 - not bad.

Crashed at my sister Kim's place (thanks again) and awoke ready to roll. Historically the second day of racing my legs are more responsive, they were a bit fatigued but still feeling better than saturday.
Lined up for the 4/5 and was off. Pace was kept in check for beginning until they called for the first prime. I launched at the line and was trying to solo the whole way around. Got a good gap formed and held on to the final stretch where I ran out of gas and got passed by 2 in a sprint...damnit. Settled in again and as we neared the end found myself more on the front. As attacks started coming I found myself having to cover and make some bridges. I wan't looking to break away though and the guy from team sound pony who made the solo break yesterday and who kept attacking the group today began to get agitated that I wouldn't work with him. At one time he looked back at me, made some smart comment and began to sprint away in an attack like he was about to drop me. Not sure what that was all about but I stuck his wheel and let him whine a bit more. Later in the race he bitched more but I ended up finishing ahead of him.....whatever. Basically last two laps were hot and and about 5 of us got away enough that guaranteed me a top five. Jumped a wheel on the last two corners and sprinted it out, got hit at the line for 2nd so I finished 3rd. Decent race

Felt good and jumped in the 3/4 race - first taste of the 3's and it was nice. Smooth, fast, consistent. Felt amazingly comfortable eventhough we had a good pace going. About halfway through was trailing teammate Matt P. into a corner when he went down right in front of me and I crashed into him. Got a bit banged up but we'll both heal. Front wheel got a beatin' but Britton at Volker Bicycles got me true as soon as I rolled back to KC. ----
I can't say enough about the support we get from our team and Volker bicycles. It is definitely unmatched for an amateur cycling team. They've helped me get: my Jamis Xenith, Pearl Izumi shoes, lazer helmet, SRAM components, everything. Definitely couldn't have afforded half that stuff at any other store - They hook it up. A special mention to my new Vittoria Open Corsa Evo tires - so smooth, great feel. Had to switch it up after both of my Schwalbe Ultremo's split.

So with the road season winding down I'm looking forward to toning it down a bit. But I will embark on first cyclocross season. Once again Volker has the hookup with a cross bike. Scooped up a used Jamis Supernova frame. In exchange though, the cross bike has to become my new commuter bike as well and I will sell my current commuter bike and part out my MTB for good. When it's all said and done though I'll likely have a little money left over after selling everything.

2 comments:

  1. To hell with whiny cyclists without a purpose! Way to drop that hoser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey this is Kent from the Bike Shack. Get in touch with me when you get a chance about that MTB.

    kentwoermann@yahoo.com
    816-547-1516

    ReplyDelete